James W. Clement
Jim Clement is a client-focused, solution-driven lawyer whose practice areas include business and commercial litigation, condemnation, personal injury, and general litigation. He is a graduate of Tulane University Law School and, prior to entering private practice, completed a two-year clerkship for a federal district judge. Jim has tried cases to jury verdict and arbitration award.
Before joining the firm, Jim spent nearly five years at a prominent Charleston defense firm, where he represented product manufacturers, restaurant owners, real estate developers, insurance companies, shipyards, and various licensed professionals, among many others. While he now represents landowners in condemnation cases, Jim handled real estate acquisitions and eminent domain matters early in his career for the Virginia Department of Transportation.
Jim lives in Mount Pleasant with his wife and three daughters. When his schedule permits, you may find Jim surfing or boating in the waters around Charleston — or on a playground with his girls.
Areas of Practice
- University of South Carolina, B.S. in Finance, cum laude
- Tulane University Law School, J.D.
- The Honorable Kurt D. Engelhardt, United States District Judge, Eastern District of Louisiana
- South Carolina
- Virginia (associate status)
- United States District Court for the District of South Carolina
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Legal & Community Activities
- Breaking Waves: The Ninth Circuit Returns to the Text to Decide DOHSA’s Applicability in Helman v. Alcoa Fasteners, Inc., 36 Tul. Mar. L. J. 339 (2011)